Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Deborah Lippmann Girls Collection Swatches and Review AND an interview with Ms. Lippmann Herself!

Good afternoon my fellow lacquered lovers!  Happy Tuesday to you all!  I am so excited to be sharing this post with you today!  As some of you may know from my Instagram, I had the amazing chance to meet the lovely Ms. Deborah Lippmann at the HBO store for the launch of the Girls nail polish collection earlier this month.  At the end of this post I will put my interview with her!


The Deborah Lippmann Girls Collection consists of 4 shades, one for each of the 4 main characters on the show.  They come in a really cute box with quotes from the show and have different printing on each side of the bottle!



Now, without further ado, on to the polish!


 Above:  2 coats of Shoshanna

Shoshanna is described as being "virtuous vivid violet."  To me this is halfway between a very light purple and a periwinkle.  While this looks like a creme at first, there is a very subtle silver shimmer to it that is apparent when the light hits it that really gives it something special.  The formula was great on this, opaque in two coats and easy to work with.



 Above:  2 coats of Hannah

Hannah is described as being "Hapless Hunter Green."  I like to call it eucalyptus because something about the slightly blue tint to it makes it look that way to my eye.  In short, I love it and it's the favorite of the collection for me.  The application was flawless, opaque in two coats and really a unique shade.


 
Above:  3 coats of Jessa

Jessa is described as being a "Bohemian Burgundy."  I love that this shade is almost jelly like!  It took three coats to be opaque but it retains that squishy look that a jelly polish has.  I'm going to have to try a jelly sandwich with this one!  The application was pretty easy to use for a creme/jelly, I found that three thin coats worked perfectly.


Above:  4 coats of Marnie

Marnie is described as being a "prim and proper pink" and I'd say that's pretty much dead on!  This very light pink is a sheer polish that took me 4 thin coats to get rid of visible nail line.  It's a good color for those who want a sheer wash of color but I prefer opacity so I found it a bit frustrating.


I was lucky enough to get to interview Ms. Lippmann at the HBO store and ask her all about the inspiration behind the collection and the line.  She was so wonderful to speak with (and I may have gushed a bit about what a fan of hers I was and she was so sweet.)  Here's what she had to say about the collection:


“They were really created completely under Lena’s supervision, it was her idea initially to have a color for Hannah and she emailed me and said wouldn’t it be groovy if Hannah had a certain cool green?  I asked what kind and Lena said ‘maybe her own green?’ and I said ‘I think that’s possible.’  So it started with that and we started having conversations and we were talking about how each of the girls are their own different character and so unique so we thought it would be a really good idea for each girl to have their own color.  We had been watching the show already and were totally obsessed, it had maybe only one of two episodes aired when this happened and so we sort of got to know through Lena’s eyes who each of the girls were and we had our own perception of who the girls were and started to go through the range of colors.  We knew immediately that Marnie had to be some sort of an uptight pink.  I think we thought in the beginning, at least in my brain, that Hannah was going to be darker and initially we were going for darker and then we kind of landed on this and it was so cool.  They are all definitely different.  Lena, when they were finished she wore Hannah at shoots and would text me pictures of her wearing it and then will write to me and say ‘can I be Shoshanna today?’  And I said ‘you can be whatever you want whenever you want!’“
And here is a picture of us:
 
All in all I thought this was a really cool collection as a tie in with the show Girls.  I love that they gave each of the characters a polish that matched their personalities.  Hannah was the true stand out for me because it's such a gorgeous shade of green and I love the hidden shimmer to Shoshanna.  This is a limited edition set that retails for $45 and can be found until supplies run out wherever Deborah Lippmann is sold.

What did you think of these polishes? Must have? Any dupes?

The products in this post were sent to me for my unbiased review. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.

7 comments:

  1. So awesome that you got to meet her...what a dream come true! These shades are all classic and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors!! That's awesome that you got to meet Deborah lippmann!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving Shoshanna! I wish these were sold separate because I need that purple in my life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i adore the way they are presented! you are also lucky to meet her!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch the show, but love the polishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...