Sunday, September 23, 2012

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars in Lydia, Strumpet, NSFW, Starling and Black Dahlia

Good evening my fellow lacquered lovers!  Happy Sunday!  Today, Lacquered Lover is venturing into new territory.  I'm going to try out mixing in some makeup posts from now on to show you guys my love of all things cosmetics as well as nail polish!  Not to worry, my main focus will still be nail polish (in fact I swatched a bunch while I was sick this weekend) but thought this would be fun!  Now, without further ado, on to the lip tar!

Above:  OCC Lip Tar in Lydia, Strumpet, Starling, NSFW and Black Dahlia

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) is a really cool brand out of NYC.  I discovered their lip tar during Fashion Night Out earlier this month when I tried NSFW for the first time and fell in love.  I knew I had to try more!  Lip Tar is basically a pure pigment so these are like lipstick in lip gloss form.  All of the Lip Tars dry to a semi matte or satiny finish!  Let's see some swatches!


First I have to show you my "naked lips" for a reference of what the coverage on the lip tars are.



 Above:  Lydia

Lydia is a medium pink that has a lot of purple to it.  I've seen it described as a "plum" and I can definitely see that.  I was a little worried it would be more of an older color for me but it's actually really wearable and pretty for Fall!  The coverage was great and a tiny bit went a long way.



Above:  NSFW

NSFW (love this name haha) was the Lip Tar that started my obsession!  NSFW is a true red lip stick.  This isn't blue or pink leaning, just a real red lipstick.  The wear on this is great, I made it through 6 hours and a meal with it staying on perfectly!  The coverage is great and a tiny bit made my lips opaque.



Above:  Strumpet

OCC calls this a deep red burgundy but to me this definitely pulls more pink on my lips.  It's a deep, bright pink but definitely not a red.  Either way, it's gorgeous!  I love this shade for when I want a pink that's bright without being neon!  The coverage was great and a tiny bit went a long way.



Above:  Starling

Starling is a really beautiful brick red shade.  I never thought I'd wear a brownish shade but I decided to try it and really love it for Fall!  It's just the right amount of red, orange and brown mixed in.  The coverage was great, very opaque.



Above:  Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia is a blackened red that has a lot of purple to it.  This color is just too dark for someone like me without going into Gothic territory.  The formula on this one was also very different than the rest of the lip tars.  It was more runny and felt more like a stain than a lipstick.  I am going to try to use this as more of a gloss over a lip stick and see how that works.

All in all, I am in love with lip tars!  A few words of advice if you get these:

  • A tiny bit of lip tar goes a LONG way.  You need the tiniest little dot to attain full coverage.
  • A lip brush is probably necessary for these as they can be a bit tough to apply without.
  • Lip liner helps to prevent the bit of feathering at the lip line.
OCC Lip Tar is available either on their website or now on Sephora.com for $16 each.  Considering how long they will last, that's a great deal!

What did you think of these lip colors?  Any must haves?  Any dupes?

8 comments:

  1. I'm so obsessed with liptars (pun unintended, lol). I have so many of them but I can't resist the new colors. I also like sheering them out with the clear liptar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strumpet is absolutely beautiful! What a perfect fall shade! I'm jealous that your lips photograph so well, mine always end up looking retarded so that's why I just stick to eyes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for perfect article!
    I buy Alexandra de Markoff cosmetics ( http://alexandrademarkoff.com/ ) yesterday and now I will foresee your post)))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...