Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Black and Silver Extravaganza!

My fellow Lacquered Lovers! I finally got my old camera working (although it's still not great I am getting a new one in a few weeks) so my pictures should be a bit better now! And have I got a bunch for you today! After having my lavander on my nails for a few days, I needed something more fun! So I decided to do an experiment in crackle/shatter involving two of my favorite colors, black and silver!



I began with Essie Ridge Filler base coat, my favorite black, CND Blackjack and a silver I've never tried before, China Glaze The Ten Man. CND Blackjack is such an amazing, opaque black that covers so well in just two coats, which I did on my pinky, middle and pointer fingers. China Glaze The Ten Man was a lot more sheer and I did 4 thin coats on my ring finger and thumb.




Here is a picture so you can see the contrast with my bottle of The Ten Man.



A picture with my bottle of CND Blackjack



One more with The Ten Man!

So after I put on my OPI Quick Dry Top Coat and waited for it to dry (while watching Mob Wives on VH1, my new obsession) I decided to crackle with contrasting colors. So OPI Silver Shatter went over the nails with CND Blackjack and China Glaze Black Mesh went over the nails with The Ten Man. Here are the results:



Holding Silver Shatter



Holding Black Mesh



One more holding Silver Shatter.

I have to say, I was really disappointed with Silver Shatter. I've tried it a few times now and it just won't shatter! I even tried adding some Seche Vite Restore polish thinner to it and almost no cracks! Unlike Black Mesh which cracked beautifully. I'm going to have to keep experienting to see if I'm doing something wrong or if I have a dud bottle.

What do you think of this manicure? Any tips on how to make the Silver Shatter work better? What are your favorite crackle/shatter combinations?

3 comments:

  1. very rockstar style hhaa i love it
    i'm planning to do a shatter mani today too :)
    polish lovers think alike.. lol

    thanks for the review on the silver shatter, i've heard other poor reviews on the shatter quality of it too.. maybe you can try sally hansen's crackle overcoat in fractured foil - that will probably produce better results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DON'T put a topcoat on before you do the silver shatter! It is absolutely AMAZING if you can just wait for the base to dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @thenailaholic - I actually got a new bottle of Silver Shatter and it works perfectly! It must have been a bad bottle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...