Monday, June 4, 2012

Tokodoki Nail Confetti Nail Polish Swatches and Review!

Good afternoon my fellow lacquered lovers!  I hope you all had a fabulous first weekend in June!  I love June, but then again I might be biased since my birthday is this month!  Today, I have a brand for you that has made quite a splash in the makeup world but this is their first foray into nail polish:


Tokidoki released 6 glitter nail polishes earlier this year and I have swatches of the full collection for you today!  Since the glitters are more glitter toppers than opaque polishes, I'm going to show you them on their own built up and over black to show how the glitters look!  Please excuse the random pieces of glitter on my hands in some pictures, swatching all of these and getting all the glitter pieces off is harder than it looks!  All pictures of just the glitter on their own have one coat on the pinkie finger, two coats on the ring finger, three coats on the middle finger and four coats on the pointer finger to show how it builds up.  All swatches are also with top coat.  Now, without further ado, on to the polish!



 Above:  Tokidoki Ciao Ciao

 Above:  1 coats of Tokidoki Ciao Ciao over 1 coat Finger Paints Black Expressionism
 Above:  Macro shot of Ciao Ciao over black
Above:  Ciao Ciao Macro Bottle Shot

First up is Ciao Ciao, one of the micro glitters in this collection.  Ciao Ciao is a fine Magenta glitter mixed in with a bit of red glitter to make it a bit more multi dimensional looking.  This one actually build up pretty well, by three coats it was virtually opaque.  I like how on its own this gives more of a raspberry look but over black it's much more magenta.  The glitter was really easy to work with, not too thick, but did require at least one coat of top coat because the glitter dries fairly matte.



 Above:  Tokidoki Donutella

 Above:  1 coat of Tokidoki Donutella over 1 coat of Finger Paints Black Expressionism
 Above:  Macro Shot of Donutella over Black
Above:  Macro bottle shot of Donutella

Next up we have Donutella.  Can I just say how much I love this name?  Donuts and Nutella are two fabulous things and put them together, well I can't even imagine the amazingness!  The nail polish Donutella is a red micro glitter base that's packed with gold and holographic bar glitter.  This is one of those glitters that looks a bit "hairy" since there is so much of the bar glitter.  This look just isn't really for me but if you like glitters that are hairy, these were super easy to work with!  I definitely like the one coat of black vs on its own, but even on its own after 4 coats it wasn't totally opaque.  This one is definitely a layering polish!



 Above:  Tokidoki Latte

 Above:  1 coat of Tokidoki Latte over 1 coat of Finger paints Black Expressionism

 Above:  Macro shot of Latte over Black
Above:  Macro bottle shot of Latte

Latte was definitely the most colorful of the Tokidoki polishes.  Latte consists of blue microglitter packed with purple bar glitter and less gold and holographic bar glitter.  This one actually looks like confetti to me!  Latte is virtually opaque by the 4th coat and the pieces of glitter are so thin that it dries fairly quickly.  The formula was really good on this one, not too thick and easy to spread out for a glitter.



 Above:  Tokidoki SANDy

Above:  1 coat of Tokidoki SANDy over 1 coat of Finger Paints Black Expressionism

 Above:  Macro shot of SANDy
Above:  Macro bottle shot of SANDy

SANDy (yes, that's how it's spelled on the bottle) is a fine gold micro glitter base that's packed with gold, green and blue bar glitter.  This was the "hairiest" looking of the three bar glitters to me.  Surprisingly, it's also the one I liked the best!  As you can see, it was practically opaque after three coats of the glitter but I still think it looks better over black.  Like the others, the formula was really good for a glitter, not thick and very easy to spread evenly.



 Above:  Tokidoki Savana


 Above:  1 coat of Tokidoki Savana over 1 coat of Finger Paints Black Expressionism

 Above:  Macro shot of Savana over Black
Above:  Macro bottle shot of Savana

Savana is actually a surprise favorite of mine from this collection!  Golds aren't usually my thing but this is a really pretty yellow gold microglitter with pink microglitter scattered throughout that makes it really warm and inviting looking.  The coverage on this one was pretty great, it was opaque in three coats and I actually really like how this one looks on its own!  The formula was easy to work with and no major issues.



 Above:  Tokidoki Stellina


Above:  1 coat of Tokidoki Stellina over 1 coat Finger Paints Black Expressionism

Above:  Macro shot of Stellina over Black
Above:  Macro bottle shot of Stellina

Last but not least is Stellina, which is the only polish in this collection that I can think of dupes for (there is both a Wet N Wild Coloricon and Deborah Lippmann dupe.)  Stellina is fine purple microglitter packed with larger magenta glitter.  The magenta definitely makes this purple look warmer and more three dimensional.  I preferred this one on its own rather than over black and it was opaque in 3 coats on its own.

All in all, I'm a bit on the fence with this collection.  The formula was excellent for a glitter collection, however I just can't really get into this hairy looking glitter trend!  I felt this way about the Zoya bar glitters and the OPI version and it's just not my favorite.  However if you are a fan, then these are pretty unique and fun!  I liked the micro glitters and am really impressed by the ease of which these all applied.  The bottles are also really nice, very solid and each bottle comes with some Tokidoki nail stickers.  Tokidoki nail polish is sold exclusively at Sephora for $10 each.

What do you think of this collection? Any must haves? Any dupes?

The products in this post were sent to me for my unbiased review. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.

37 comments:

  1. I love the way all of these look over the black polish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tokidoki, but I'm passing on this collection. These are "all too familiar", but thanks for the swatches!!

    Your swatches are always fabulous :P :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so much fun. I like the bar glitter. I'm so excited Tokidoki makes nailpolish. I totally have the tokidoki heart and crossbones tattooed on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited to see them branching out into nail polish too!

      Delete
  4. I think I'd love Latte if it were a microglitter, not hairy--such pretty colors in there! Yeah, I'm not loving the hairy nails look either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'd prefer those colors not as hairy glitter!

      Delete
  5. Oh man so not my thing, but I do love everything else about Tokidoki <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of these polishes! Especially layered over black :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh, that's how I feel about this collection. Then again that's how I feel about all glitters ahaha, I love to look at them but I hate to remove them, even with the foil method!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can certainly be difficult to remove but I just love how glitters look!

      Delete
  8. I love how all of these look, I don't think I can pick a favorite, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love June too, but I'm also biased since my birthday is this month! Haha these look pretty over black! Some are better than others, but overall it's a fun glitter collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way about bar glitters. Not my fav! But thanks for the swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love them all!!! such beauties

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these but I don't love them. None of them really jumped out at me; which I guess is probably a good thing. I can't even imagine what a pain it was to swatch all of these! Especially since you did them alone and over black. But it really helped me decide whether I like them or not. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes it took a LONG time, lots of remover and patience to swatch them all but I'm happy to do it! :)

      Delete
  13. I like these but I don't love them. None of them really jumped out at me; which I guess is probably a good thing. I can't even imagine what a pain it was to swatch all of these! Especially since you did them alone and over black. But it really helped me decide whether I like them or not. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like these but I don't love them. None of them really jumped out at me; which I guess is probably a good thing. I can't even imagine what a pain it was to swatch all of these! Especially since you did them alone and over black. But it really helped me decide whether I like them or not. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like these but I don't love them. None of them really jumped out at me; which I guess is probably a good thing. I can't even imagine what a pain it was to swatch all of these! Especially since you did them alone and over black. But it really helped me decide whether I like them or not. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like these! I used to have this kind of lacquer when i was a kid. I should buy some new one

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool collection! Loved all these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the Donutella could be a pretty close dupe for Zoya Kissy. And maybe SANDy is for OPI Save Me from the Nicki Minaj collection. Any chance you could do a comparison? Thanks! love the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donutella is pretty close to Kissy so I will compare this weekend! SANDy is gold based whereas Save Me is silver so those are definitely not dupes!

      Delete
  19. How did I now know about these before now?! Just seeing the words "Tokidoki" and "glitter polish" in the same sentence would have me grabbing my keys and out the door, so I really appreciate the swatches. Savana all by itself is ridiculously pretty, and I love the blue and gold colour combo of SANDy. I'm not that sold on the "hairy glitter" style, though. A little bit of bar glitter is nice to add some variety to a polish, but most of these are a little fuzzier than I prefer. I think I'd go crazy picking at them. >_<

    I probably won't be running out to grab these after all, but I do hope Tokidoki keeps doing polishes--I'd love to see what he/they would do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, can't wait to see what they do next! Hopefully this isnt' their last polish collection!

      Delete
  20. I wanted this colection so badly... Why cant i live in America???
    Great blog
    Kissies

    http://vernizesdamada.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...