Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mattesse Elite Zombie Collection Swatches and Review

Good afternoon my fellow lacquered lovers! Today, I have a big post for you so get ready! I received a blogger blast from Ricky's yesterday morning (for those of you who don't know, Ricky's is a fabulous beauty supply store in NYC) that Mattesse Elite, their in house makeup and nail polish company, released a new collection for Halloween, the Zombie Collection! Yay! I love Halloween so I was super excited and spent the morning tracking down which stores were carrying it! Here is the press release photo:



The names crack me up! I also love that all of the colors are muted, several almost dusty looking, and then bam! One brighter one! Mattesse Elite did this for the Cosa Nostra Collection as well. View my review of Cosa Nostra HERE. So I got all the polishes yesterday, because I'm a hoarder, and I swatched them all for you! Let's get started!




Above: Zombie Survival - 3 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

According to Mattesse Elite, Zombie Survival is a "sheer, fleshy pink." I'd say that description is just about right! Even with 3 coats, there was a lot of visible nail line. Now, I'm not a pink person so this was probably my lease favorite of the collection, but for ladies who do french manicures or want a subdued color, it's pretty. Not at all streaky but you may want to throw a coat of white polish underneath if you don't want a visible nail line!




Above: Undead Pink - 3 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

Undead Pink is the shimmery, more fun sister of Zombie Survival. According to Mattesse Elite, it is a "a light pink with a subtle purple iridescence." The iridescence actually translates really well in person however I'm not sure my photos accurately captured it. I really want to try this color over a black base because I think this would be a fabulous layering polish! Like Zombie Survival, it is very sheer and after 3 coats I still had visible nail line, but this is also great for girls who like pale colors and nudes but want it to be a bit unique!




Above: Walking Dead - 2 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

These names are starting to sound like sequels to horror movies! Walking Dead is described as a "shiny, pale pearl" and that's pretty spot on! Depending on the light, it shifts from almost pale silvery to white. I actually really liked this color! That could be partly because it makes my hands look kind of tan. It's a little frosty so you do see a little bit of brush strokes but somehow, with whites I don't really mind that! I think this color will look great in the winter. I love stark whites and the pearl finish of this makes it so it doesn't look chalky!




Above: Decaying Green - 2 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

Decaying Green. Gross name, but I have to admit it's pretty spot on! According to Mattesse Elite, this is a "a slightly decomposed olive green" and that's accurate! This color reminds me of a military green. Usually I struggle with olive greens because there is so much yellow in them that they make my hands look sickly but I LOVED this one! Perfectly opaque in two coats, loved the formula and it's one of those ugly pretty colors! I will definitely be wearing this color a lot! It's subtle enough to get away with on most days but it's really unique in my collection! It applied great and I just really like it!




Above: Living Dead - 2 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

Ah Living Dead, you sound like a horror film or something really creepy but you are so pretty! According to Mattesse Elite, this color is a "perfect ghoulish green" and I'd have to agree! For starters, I love that this is blue leaning so it doesn't make me look sickly! It's somewhere between an aqua and a seafoam, although I no longer remember all the names from my 96 pack crayola set so I can't quite find the right color name. The application was perfect, opaque in 2 coats like all the Mattesse Elite creams I have tried. No streaks or bald spots, just smooth!




Above: Dead Punk Rocker - 2 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

I saved the best for last! This always happens, I think it's because I always put my favorite in the bottle as the last one to swatch! Anyway, Dead Punk Rocker (amazing name) is amazing! According to Mattesse Elite, it is a "shiny gunmetal packed with shimmer." Yep, that's right! Totally different from the gunmetal from the Cosa Nostra which was a bit more frosty. Dead Punk Rocker (seriously I smile every time I see this because I imagine Sid Vicious as a zombie) is just gorgeous! Fully opaque in two coats, just enough shimmer to be a bit sparkly but not too in your face, this color is simply stunning for Fall! I highly recommend it!

All in all, really fun collection! Loved the names, really enjoyed the color palette because it was different than the usual fall or Halloween collections (no orange and no black so that's pretty cool for a Halloween Collection) and they are only $5.99 each! You can get the Zombie Collection at some Ricky's in NYC (I got mine at the one on 39th and Broadway) or by ordering online at Ricky's website found HERE.

What did you all think of the Zombie Collection? Any polishes you want to get?

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, Dead Punk Rocker makes me :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i NEED zombie survival. idk why, but it's calling out to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just died. Zombie themed polish! I Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The greens are my faves but I want the entire collection just for the theme/names! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving Decaying Green and Living Dead are gorgeous! I need them. I also love how some of the colors have nothing to do with Zombies really!! Thanks for sharing!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kind of nice to see a Halloween collection you can actually wear beyond those few days around Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decaying Green is perfect! Such funny names, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The names on these are amazing! Thanks for all the kind words ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...