Friday, September 23, 2011

Nails Inc. Magnetic Polishes and Butter London Artful Dodger

Good morning lacquered lovers! First of all, I apologize for not posting yesterday. However, to make up for it, you are getting not one, not two, but THREE posts today! Yay! Anyway, this mornings post is about a new (to me) nail polish company, Nails Inc. Sephora recently started selling this british brand on their website and in several of their stores. Now I remember reading a few months ago about magnetic nail polish and knew I had to find out what it was all about, so when I saw that Nails Inc. had three magnetic colors, I knew I had to try them! I wasn't loving their gold color, Big Men, because it looks too yellow for me but I have the other two to share with you today!

According to Nails Inc Website, here is how Magnetic Polish works:

HOW DOES MAGNETIC POLISH WORK?
This unique formula has been specially developed with metallic particles to create a pattern on the nail using magnetic forces.

As the magnet is held over the nail, the iron powder in the formulation gravitates toward the magnet forming the pattern/design secretly hidden in the magnet for an astonishing finish!


I'll also put some tips and tricks at the bottom for those of you wanting to try a magnetic polish! Now, on to the polish!



Above: Butter London Artful Dodger - 2 coats over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

Ok, I know this isn't what you were expecting, however there is a reason for the swatch of Butter London Artful Dodger in here! For starters, this has been sitting in my untrieds for a few months and I wanted to give it a shot. It's a beautiful turquoise cream that's fully opaque in two coats. I'll do a full review of it soon during my Butter London Week, I promise! Now, the reason it's in this post is that when I first tried out the magnetic polishes on a nail wheel, I realized you could see a base color under them! So, when I tried the grey Nails Inc Magnetic polish, I wanted this to be my base.




Above: Trafalgar Square - 1 thick coat over 2 coats Artful Dodger over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

First of all, I love this name! I hold a special place in my heart for London so seeing all of Nails Inc. names always makes me smile and remind me of the summer I backpacked through Europe. Trafalgar Square is a gorgeous deep grey shimmer when you first apply it. When you use the magnet, it turns almost silver! As you can see, the magnet pulls the polish into a pattern and leaves a tiny bit of the blue showing underneath. I love it! I love the kind of striped pattern that shows up with the magnet!




Above: Houses of Parliament - 1 thick coat over 1 coat Wet N Wild Black Creme over 1 coat OPI Nail Envy

Houses of Parliament was actually the polish I was most excited to try. I'm on a major purple kick lately and this fits right in! Since I had tried Trafalgar Square first and new I needed a base, I used my favorite trusty one coat black polish, Wet N Wild Black Creme for my base color before painting a thick coat of Houses of Parliament. Once the magnet worked its magic, the purple pulled up to a gorgeous deep royal purple while showing the black underneath! I think I'm in love with this polish.

Here are a few more pictures to show off the lovely magnetic polish, taken the way my mom likes it (Hi Mom!)




So fun! So now, here are some tips and tricks for using Magnetic Polish:

* Always put down a base color (preferably one that's opaque in one coat) because once the magnet comes into play, you need a base.

* Once the base is dry, you need to work one finger at a time.

* Apply a THICK coat of the magnetic polish and while it's still wet, hold the magnet over the nail as close as possible for 10-15 seconds. The Nails Inc. polishes have the magnet on the top of the cap with a lip you can rest on your cuticle to get the magnet as close as possible.

* After each finger is done, make sure to leave the finger on a table, laying flat, for a few minutes. If you don't, the magnetic particle start to separate and the lines aren't as crisp (you can see that in the Trafalgar Square pictures best.)

* Wait until the polish is set (should be about 5 minutes) before applying top coat.


So there you go! A mini tutorial and review of Nails Inc. Magnetic polishes! I love them! I love how the manicure kind of looks 3 dimensional but feels smooth! I'd highly recommend both of these!

What do you think of magnetic polishes? Have you tried any? Got any other tips for me?

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get my magnetics in the mail so I can start playing! Now I want to get some by Nails Inc, too! And BTW--Artful Dodger is one of my fave polishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this look is for me-I'm thinking I'm gonna be lame on this like I am with crack and glitter-but i LOVE LOVE Nails Inc-they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magnetic polishes look so neat! I really want to try them but I cannot find them anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are still looking for the Sephora Nails Inc Magnetic Polishes 3pack, I am selling mine. Never used and in original packaging. Email me if interested: phaedrafields@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Oh I want to try Nails Inc! I wish Sephora would get the 3 pack in stock so I can order. I only tried Layla magnetics and blogged about it yesterday. LOVED it!

    PS: If anyone wants to try the layla there are some moneysaving tips here: http://thepolishlab.blogspot.com/2011/09/on-perfectionism-and-magnetics-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am super excited right now!!! This post was full of things I was thinking about getting but now it's a definite!!! Thank you!!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get some magnetic polish. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout-out Carls! This is the mom speaking and isn't she the BEST? These magnetic polishes look unbelievable. Can't wait for you to show them to me this weekend. Keep reading all you followers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the magnetic polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boots No 17 also do a range over here in the UK. They have 4 shades and I'm currently sporting the greeny blue one. i found that the nail polish is so magnetic that the magnet actually pulled the polish up to the magnet, so great tip about keeping the finger straight afterwards. You don't have to use another base coat - you can just use one coat of the magnetic polish, allow to dry and then apply the thick coat to magnetise.

    I've found the no 17 chips easily as I haven't had chance to apply a top coat yet.it's also a bit matt so definitely need a coat of seche vite!!

    the boots version is £5 cheaper and can be found here http://www.boots.com/en/17-Magnetized-Nail-Polish_1236505/?cm_re=c9094_rot1-_-product-_-17_magnetized_nail_polish&cm_sp=brand_treatment-_-c9094-_-c9094_rot1 there is also a video showing how to apply and when you are more confident using the magnet in different ways

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...