Monday, March 19, 2012

OPI New York City Ballet Softshades Spring 2012 Swatches and Review!

Good afternoon my fellow lacquered lovers!  I hope you all had a lovely and safe St. Patrick's Day Weekend!  Today, I have the new OPI Softshades Collection to show you all!  For this year's Softshades collection, OPI partnered up with the New York City Ballet to create 6 shades!



As usual, this softshades collection is made up of 6 polishes.  5 of the polishes are sheer, jelly like finishes in slightly different shades and the sixth is a glitter top coat.  Being a life long New Yorker, obviously I was excited to see something connected with the city!  Now, without further ado, on to the polish!


Above:  3 coats of Barre my Soul

Barre My Soul is a warm beige shade.  This is actually one of the most clever names in my opinion!  This polish, like all the others in this collection, is a sheer, almost jelly like finish.  Due to the sheerness and the light shade, even with three coats, there is still visible nail line but it gives your nails a more shiny and polished feel. 



Above:  3 coats of Care to Danse

Care to Danse is the lilac polish from the NYC Ballet line.  This name makes me chuckle because I imagine something like the Phantom from Phantom of the Opera saying it very dramatically.  Care to Danse definitely gives off a more milky look than a lot of the other polishes.  There is the tiniest hint of a light purple in there, and this is definitely a cool toned shade from the collection. 



Above:  3 coats of Don't Touch My Tutu!

This name really made me laugh, because can't you just imagine ballerinas freaking out because someone touched their tutu?  Don't Touch My Tutu is the white version of the sheer polishes from this collection.  I actually like this one a lot because it's more milky and because true whites are so hard to wear!  Plus I think you can make some really cool jelly sandwiches using the white jelly as a top coat!



Above:  3 coats of My Pointe Exactly

I totally took ballet as a little girl and wanted nothing more than to learn how to dance on pointe.  Turns out I was awful at ballet and switched to tap pretty quickly but I still like the name of this color!  Also, this was my favorite color of the jellies because it's so unique!  My Pointe Exactly is a dove grey jelly.  Not a color I'd ever expect to see as a jelly but pretty cool!    This was also by far the most opaque of the bunch.



Above:  3 coats of You Callin' Me A Lyre?

I keep reading this like someone out of a Mafia movie for some reason haha.  Anyway, You Callin' Me A Lyre is the light pink version of the jelly polish.  This is warm toned like the beige was.  In all honesty, this looks very close to the beige to my eye, only if they were right next to each other would I see a huge difference.

So that's all the jellies.  Then, in order to see what the glitter top coat Pirouette My Whistle was like, I tried it over each of the jelly bases!  Let's see what those look like:



 Above:  1 coat of Pirouette My Whistle over 3 coats of Barre My Soul


 Above:  1 coat of Pirouette My Whistle over 3 coats of Care To Danse?


 Above:  1 coat of Pirouette My Whistle over 3 coats of Don't Touch My Tutu


 Above:  1 coat of Pirouette My Whistle over 3 coats of My Pointe Exactly

Above:  1 coat of Pirouette My Whistle over 3 coats of You Callin' Me A Lyre?

Pirouette My Whistle is a virtually clear base with tiny silver micro glitter and almost opalescent larger hexagonal glitter.  Honestly, this is the tame version of Servin' Up Sparkle from OPI last year!  I really like it.  It's a delicate glitter, which is not something you see too often.  Usually glitter is in your face but this glitter is subtle and would be a nice addition to any manicure when you're wanting to look ladylike but a little bit fun!


So there you have it, the OPI New York City Ballet Softshades collection for 2012.  If you are a fan of nudes and jelly finishes, then this is certainly a collection for you!  I was really intrigued by My Pointe Exactly because a light grey sheer polish was something I had never seen before.  Plus I'm really excited to try some jelly sandwiches with Don't Touch My Tutu!  The glitter, Pirouette My Whistle was also really lovely and delicate which I like!  This collection will be available in April wherever OPI is sold!

What did you think of this collection?  Any must haves?  Any dupes?

These products were sent to me by the company or their PR firm for my unbiased review.  Please see my disclosure policy above for more information.

14 comments:

  1. Your swatches almost makes me want these polishes. You have pretty nails.

    But I know the truth.. Lol. These polishes are way too sheer for my liking! OPI did us wrong with these ones. I would like Pirouette my whistle though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great on you! I'm not crazy about sheers but I always like having a few. I just bought My Pointe Exactly and I'm really excited about it. Not only is it a soft shade but it's a gray. I got it because like you said it's very unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grey is definitely very different. I've never seen a jelly polish in that shade before!

      Delete
  3. I agree with the comments above, way too sheer for me! I always buy them thinking I'll wear them and they sit around collecting dust! They look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, they are very sheer so if you are not a sheer girl, probably not the right shades for you.

      Delete
  4. I like the look of Pirouette My Whistle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so excited for these, but they are too sheer for my taste. I love the story behind them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the NYC ballet theme, just so ethereal!

      Delete
  6. I usually don't like the sheer collections when they come out. This one I do like. Maybe we just are ready again for sheers, esp with the popularity of jelly formulas and being OK with some of them showing VNL. I cannot wait for this collection...oh and the glitter in this one - I'll take 2 please!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm...not my favorite. I love the names and the idea behind the polishes but I am definitely not a fan of sheer polishes. I do like the glitter though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful colours in the bottle. Kinda disappointed at the fact they aren't easily buildable. But I'll probably get them either way D:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually don't like glitter on my nails but Pirouette My Whistle looks so awesome. I want to have it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...