Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kat Von D High Voltage Lacquer Featuring Wonderchild, Mad Max and No Regrets Swatches and Review!

Good afternoon my fellow Lacquered Lovers!  For this afternoons post, I have a new brand!  Well, not a new brand, but an establishes make up brand that's taking it's turn in the world of nail polish!  Kat Von D, the tattoo artist from the shows Miami Ink and LA Ink, started a make up line a few years ago.  I've always loved this line, just really great quality and I won't use any other liquid eyeliner than her tattoo liner!  So as you can imagine, I was super excited when I saw these polishes pop up on Sephora one day!


Now there are 4 colors in this collection in total, but I simply can't wear yellows so I skipped Sparklehorse.  How cute is the tattoo themed bottle?  I did however buy these three so now, without further ado, on to the polish!





Above:  2 coats of Wonderchild

First up we have Wonderchild.  Wonderchild is a gorgeous neon purple glitter/glass fleck combination!  I love it!  I wish you could see how utterly sparkly this is in person, but I really love it on the nail!  It was completely opaque in 2 coats which actually surprised me because the formula seemed a bit thin but I love the final product!  In the bottle it almost looks like there will be a pink duochrome quality to it but it doesn't really show up on the nail.  However I plan on trying to layer this a bit and see if I can't get it to come out!





Above:  3 coats of Mad Max

So in the pictures on Sephora's website, this absolutely looks like a blue to purple duochrome.  In real life, Mad Max is a bright blue sparkle/glitter/glass fleck beauty with the tiniest bit of purple shimmer to it.  The formula is very thin, and even after 3 coats there was Visible nail line, but look at how gorgeous that color is!  However I saw this morning that The Polishaholic posted Mad Max layered over a darker color and the duochrome came out so I will have to give that a shot later this week!  I still love the bright and glittery look of Mad Max on its own, but since it is a small bottle with a thin formula, I think layering is the way to go!





Above:  2 coats of No Regrets

Last but not least is the hot pink No Regrets!  Similar to the others in this collection, No Regrets is a slightly thin sparkle/micro glitter/glass fleck combination that is super bright and fun!  If this isn't the color of Barbie's dream Corvette, I'm not sure what is!  I'm slowly getting into pink nail polishes, the brighter the better, and this definitely falls into that category!  I only used two coats in these swatches and you can still see visible nail line, so I'm thinking this will be a layering polish as well.

All in all, I love the finish and brightness of these polishes, but for $12 for a 0.25 oz bottle I was a little disappointed.  When you think about it, Chanel charged $25 for a 0.5 oz bottle, so the Kat Von D, per ounce, is almost the same cost and I"m not sure how I feel about that.  I enjoyed these polishes, but they definitely will need to be layered to be worn otherwise will take a lot of coats to get rid of visible nail line.  I do think these are very fun, but I also think they are over priced.  However perhaps layering them will change my mind so I will report back once I do!

What do you think of these polishes?  Did you order any?  Any must haves?  Any dupes?

6 comments:

  1. These are a pass for me on cost alone. The colours ARE nice, but not unique enough for me to spend that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Regrets is an awesome color but if I'm going to spend over $10 on a polish it's going to be from that British brand (the name escapes me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderchild is really got some goodies in it - hard to catch I think in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so pretty! Very disappointing about the price and thinness! Thou i love the look of the bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For dupes, I say Sally Hansen HD polishes look a lot like this, but they are probably a third of the price or less and you get twice as much polish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...