Monday, April 30, 2012

Models Own Beetlejuice For Summer 2012 Collection Swatches and Review!

Good afternoon my fellow lacquered lovers!  This afternoon, I have a fairly new collection from Models Own to show you!  This was my first experience with Models Own because until fairly recently, they weren't that easy to get in the United States and the shipping was crazy expensive!  Now a few online stores (and Urban Outfitters) carry some Models Own so I finally got a chance to try them!  The Beetlejuice Collection is a continuation of a collection released last year of 5 darker polishes, and now, for Spring/Summer 2012, they released 3 brighter shades!  Now, without further ado, on to the polish!




Above:  2 coats of Copper Pot

I purposely only did 2 coats of each of these so you can see how sheer they are.  Copper Pot is a coppery bronze with a lot of yellow and orange to it making it very warm toned.  I love the shimmer in here and how rich it is, although to wear as a full manicure I'd have to do at least 3 if not 4 coats because I can't stand the visible nail line.  There is the tiniest hint of green and gold flashes to this but not nearly enough to call it a duochrome.  The formula was ok, it was very sheer but definitely thicker than you expect a sheer polish to be so it took a bit of patience.




Above:  2 coats of Indian Ocean

Indian Ocean was the polish I was most excited about from this collection!  A baby blue base with pink shimmer?  It sounded awesome and the color payoff did not disappoint!  Even with only 2 coats (and lots of visible nail line) the pink shimmer is intense!  I can only imagine how gorgeous this will be opaque!  The finish is halfway between a shimmer and glass fleck, not unlike the new Color Club Take Wing Collection and I love it!  The formula was a tad bit thick for a sheer polish so let the polish dry between coats but this one is a stunner!




Above:  2 coats of Tropical Sun

Lastly is Tropical Sun, a warm toned orange with strong flashes of pink and gold!  This was a surprise love for me from this collection, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore that I am LOVING oranges lately!  This is a super cute pedicure color for the Spring to me.  The formula was the same as the others, a bit thick for such a sheer polish but the cool thing about this one is that it has silver micro glitter mixed in while the others don't!

All in all, I liked this collection but didn't love it.  Would I buy it again?  Probably not, with the possible exception of Indian Ocean.  I would like to try other Models Own polishes to see how the formula adds up but I hate it when I need 4 coats to make a polish opaque or have to layer it over something else.  I like my polish to be simple and at $8-$10 a polish, I expect more.

What did you think of this collection?  Any must haves?  Any dupes?

20 comments:

  1. Pretty shades, but my favorite is Indian ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really pretty! Indian Ocean is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian Ocean is stunning but I'm with you - at 8-10 I want my polish to work for me and not the other way around :( Makes me waiver for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...do you have SC Cinderella? I'm wondering what a coat of that over the 2 of Indian Ocean would do....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Thanks for the tips on where to pick these polishes up! Didn't know UO had them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other than UO and Harlow & Co where else can I find ModelsOwn in the US? I'm looking for a wide variety of colors, pretty much accepted the fact that they are gonna be $10 a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanna know, too, as I'm in a BIG city and haven't seen them anywhere yet!

      Delete
  7. Indian Ocean looks most interesting, but I have a really hard time liking frosty polishes.
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Indian Ocean, it's definitely on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Indian Ocean! I don't have any Models Own yet but hopefully one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got Indian Ocean and layered ut over Cult Nails Manipulative... Perfection! The glass fleck is so intense!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got all three of these, and the rest of the beetlejuice collection! Awesome swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh the new colours i like :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indian Ocean is so special, what a great name for a polish! On a different note, wouldn't a '7 Seas' collection be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indian ocean is my fav I'm kind of bummed that it is so sheer, If I get it, I might have to find the perfect underwear for it, love the pink shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all great! I'd love to see them layered over darker colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Indian Ocean has my attention BIG TIME. Plus the sheerness of it is not bothering me because I am into using sheers to make jelly sands with of late - they don't have to be jelly only - just layering. And with that, my manis last so long - I know it's the layer of glitter in there holding it all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, Indian Ocean is definitely my favorite of the most recent Model's Own polishes I've seen! Sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE the pinky brown one! Agree with everyone else though, Indian ocean is lush. You can get all 5 colours for £20 from Models Own's website. :D Thats a must on pay day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...