Thursday, April 12, 2012

OPI Spiderman Collection Swatches and Review!

Good morning my fellow lacquered lovers!  I hope you are all having a wonderful Thursday!  Today, I have something very exciting to show you!  At least, I'm super excited about it!


The new OPI Spiderman Collection!  A bit of background for you all;  I'm a bit of a nerd.  I love superheroes.  I love superhero movies.  I especially LOVE Spiderman!  Something about a dorky kid gaining superhuman powers just really makes me happy!  Plus, last Fall, the boyfriend and I were walking around the city and totally stumbled into the re shoots of the new The Amazing Spiderman movie!  So needless to say, I'm very excited for this summer's release of The Amazing Spiderman (not to mention that Andrew Garfield will make a much better Peter Parker than Toby McGuire ever did.)  So when I found out that OPI was having a tie in with the movie, well let's just say the fangirl in me did a little happy dance!  Now, without further ado, on to the polish!


Above:  2 coats of Call Me Gwen-Ever

This is one of the two colors that feels a bit out of place in this collection that's much darker but it does feel right for a Summer release!  Call Me Gwen-Ever is an orange-leaning coral creme that's a perfect pedicure shade for Spring or Summer!  The formula was great on this one, fully opaque in two coats and really easy to apply like most OPI Cremes are!



Above:  2 coats of Into the Night

First of all, I love the name of this polish, it just sounds so ominous!  Into the Night is a deep sapphire shimmer.  The difference between this and most of OPI's shimmers is that the formula was pretty thin.  This is two coats and it could have used a third.  I do love the slight silver shimmer this polish throws off but I wish the formula was a tad bit thicker.





Above:  2 coats of Just Spotted the Lizard

For some reason, this name makes me laugh every time.  Just Spotted the Lizard is the next in the series of CHANEL Peridot dupes we've been seeing over the last year and this is a pretty good one!  It's actually closer to Deborah Lippmann Swagga Like Us which I will show you next week.  Just Spotted the Lizard is a yellow gold with a hint of green and a tiny bit of deal flash to it.  It's not a full duochrome but it has a hint of flash that's really pretty, hence all the pictures!  The formula was good, opaque in two coats, but be careful when applying or it may get a tad bit brush stroke-y.



Above:  2 coats of Number One Nemesis

Seriously OPI wins in my book for some of the best polish names!  Number One Nemesis was the real standout of this collection for me.  It's almost a CHANEL Graphite dupe except it's a tad bit more green.  I love it!  Number One Nemesis is a deep pewter/grey/green jewel toned polish that's just gorgeous.  I love that it has the tiniest hints of dark green sparkle and it's really just a gorgeous, multi-dimensional polish!  The formula was great, opaque in two coats and it's really just gorgeous!



Above:  2 coats of Your Web or Mine

This was the other polish that felt a bit out of place in this collection but again, it works for a summer release!  Your Web or Mine is a carnation pink frosty polish.  Frosts are never my favorite because the brush strokes drive me nuts (especially because mine always look a bit wonky since I apparently can't paint in a straight line.)  It's definitely too frosty for my taste but if you are a pink lover or a frosty lover, you won't be disappointed!  The formula was good, opaque in two coats and lots of pigment to give a really bright shade!


Above:  2 coats of My Boyfriend Scales Walls

Now you need some sort of a white in a Spiderman Collection since webs are kind of an integral part of the story!  What I love about My Boyfriend Scales Walls is that it's not a bright white but a slightly grey, softer white.  This doesn't have a chalky look to it and wasn't streaky in two coats like many whites can be!  I really like this polish a lot!  It's a great alternative to a neutral without being boring!  The formula was great, opaque in two coats!





above:  1 coat of Shatter the Scales over 2 coats of My Boyfriend Scales Walls

I know the shatter thing has been done a lot, but I"m really excited for a dark green shimmer shatter!  Shatter the Scales is a deep, forest green shimmer with a hint of teal that shatters beautifully!  I love the hints of silver shimmer to it that make it look almost three dimensional!  I'm a big fan!

So there you have it, the OPI Spiderman Collection!  I think this was a really interesting collection.  Call Me Gwen-Ever was pretty but felt out of place and Your Web or Mine wasn't my favorite but I really enjoyed the rest of the collection!  I will be sure to do some comparison posts soon for you all with Just Spotted the Lizard and Number One Nemesis but I think they were both great colors!  Plus My Boyfriend Scales Walls is a really interesting take on a white!  These polishes will be available in May 2012 and will retail for $8.50.

What did you think of these polishes? Any must haves? Any dupes?  Are you as excited for a new Spiderman as I am?

The products in this post were sent to me for my unbiased review. Please see my disclosure policy above for additional information.

35 comments:

  1. I love this whole collection! I cannot wait to get my hands on the complete set

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really disappointed with the collection to be honest :(
    They are all similar to colours that have been released recently. The only one I really like is "My boyfriend scales walls".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep companies have been duping each other a lot recently but it's always nice to have more affordable options!

      Delete
  3. I think the only colors I like are Just Spotted the Lizard and Number One Nemesis. Just Spotted the Lizard sounds like a dirty euphemism (the best kind, no?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for this collection! I am also a HUGE Spiderman fan and can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already thinking up ideas for my manicure for the movie!

      Delete
  5. None of these really stand out too me! I'm more excited for the Minnie Mouse Collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then stay tuned for tomorrow's post when I show off the Minnie Mouse Collection! :)

      Delete
  6. I"m a superhero fan, too! Unite!! And I agree about Andrew Garfield over Toby McGuire. None of these colors really speak to me, though, except maybe Your Web or Mine... I'm a little bit of a sucker for a dark frosty or shimmery pink. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha hey we all have different things we love! I'm glad someone likes a frost because I can NOT pull them off!

      Delete
  7. Great swatches! I wonder how Number One Nemesis compares to Zoya Edyta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I will add that to the list to do a comparison but off hand, Edyta has much more green I think!

      Delete
  8. I love all of these except Your Web or Mine and the shatter.. great swatches!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to need some of these, for sure. A few look more brushstrokey than I'd like--surely OPI can do better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest that these were swatched without a top coat so I'm curious to see if maybe Just Spotted the Lizard would be evened out by a top coat!

      Delete
  10. Lovey lovey love love. First collection I've been giddy for in a whiiiiiile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought I'd be so excited about Spiderman! I want an X-Men collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE an X-Men Collection! I can see it now, a shimmery opal for Storm, A blue/green duochrome for Mystique, Red shimmer for Cyclops.

      Delete
  12. Great swatches! I also feel like Call Me Gwen-Ever is a tad out of place in this collection, but a great colour anyways! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I really like the color, just weirdly out of place in the collection!

      Delete
  13. Great job Carly! I can't wait for Number One Nemesis. I'm not sure if I want the others. I'm still on the fence. I'll probably get Just Spotted the Lizard. I'm with Apple I would love an X-Men collection too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. X Men would be fab! Just Spotted the Lizard is a great color, I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  14. I'm a huge nerd, but haven't really gotten in to the superheroes. Give me Harry Potter, Doctor Who, etc. any day!

    I LOVE My Boyfriend Scales Walls and Number One Nemesis. I love the colors of Just Spotted the Lizard and Into the Night, but I loathe brushstrokes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me, I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan too! I always tell the boyfriend how much I wish I could go to Hogwarts!

      I'm wondering if Just Spotted the Lizard could be fixed with a topcoat so I'll experiment and let you all know! Into the Night is a great blue, not brush strokey but just a bit sheer!

      Delete
  15. Oh man I don't really like these but I really like the theme...I will probably buy a couple anyways. I'm more of a Batman girl myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Batman too! I'd love to see a Batman collection when the next movie comes out, it'd be so dark and vampy!

      Delete
  16. Nice swatches! I think I might only purchase Into the Night though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know what you think of it if you do!

      Delete
  17. I agree with the others, great swatches! Thanks for sharing them! I'm a bit surprised by this collection, it seems like the ones I thought I would like I find boring, and the ones I didn't much notice I love. =)
    I'm with you on the forest green shimmery shatter! Kind of nice to see such a different shatter color when it seemed like there wasn't much left to do there. I think I'm really going to want that one! And Number One Nemesis seemed like a pretty standard boring dark silvery color in the bottle, but I kind of adore it on your nails! I seem to be a sucker for any color like that though, if anyone even references the possibility of a Chanel-Graphite dupe, I've probably already bought a couple bottles. Ha! How I could possibly need that many different steel gray/silvers I'll never know. =)

    I also kind of love "My BF Scales Walls", when I scrolled down my first thought was "Ooh! I like" and the 2nd was, "Skull & Glossbones?" I mean, off-white/very pale grays are all going to be relatively similar... but it would be interesting to see / hear what you think about how close they are. They could definitely be much more different than I can tell from the computer screen.

    Thanks again for the swatches! =) Go Spidey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on a post for next week that will compare Number One Nemesis with Graphite and Peridot with Just Spotted the Lizard!

      And Skull and Glossbones is much more grey to my eye whereas My Boyfriend Scales Walls is closer to white but I will add that to my compare list!

      Delete
  18. Lovely swatches! Can't wait for Number One Nemesis and Just Spotted the Lizard! Thanks for swatching!! These posts always get me so excited for new collections :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting Lacquered Lovers! I love hearing from my readers! If you'd like me to check out your blog, feel free to email me! Any comments with links to posts will be deleted but I'm happy to answer any emails!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...